Thursday, April 11, 2013

More Fun With Sourdough Starter

I make my family sourdough waffles once a week, usually on Wednesday, and I make sourdough pancakes once a week, usually on Friday.  Both recipes are simple, quick and delicious! 

I have also make sourdough herb rolls.  These are yummy!  You make them the same way you make your sourdough bread only you add herbs to your dough and shape them into rolls.  The recipe is below.
Click here to learn how to make sourdough starter



Sourdough waffles in my waffle iron

A large platter heaping with sourdough waffles

 

Sourdough Waffles
4 cups sourdough starter
4 eggs
1 cup of butter, melted (or 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup coconut oil)
2 cups flour
2 tsp. and 2 T. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk

Mix ingredients well and pour into a waffle iron.  Makes about 20 waffles.




Sourdough Pancakes
4 cups sourdough starter
4 eggs
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1-2 cups of flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Mix ingredients well and pour onto a hot griddle.  I will often make either banana or apple pancakes.  For banana pancakes I just add a mashed banana or two to my batter.  For apple, I grate up the apples and add them to the batter or just add the grated apples to the top of the pancakes.  We also like adding blueberries.   Enjoy! :)


Herb Rolls
To your sourdough bread, add the following: (Click here to learn how to make sourdough bread)
3 T. Parsley
3 T. Dill
2 T. Caraway

Adding herbs to my bread dough


Dough shaped and ready to rise

Ready for the oven


Finished herb rolls

Yummy herb roll, fresh out of the oven! :)
Experiment with your starter and have fun!  Let me know what you come up with. :)

No comments: