Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Making Soap





For years I have been wanting to make my own soap, and about a month ago I finally did it (with the help of a friend)! It was much easier than I expected. For some reason I had the idea that it would be really intense and time consuming. It wasn't. Although I did decide to render my own tallow from our sheep back in December, which was not hard to do, but did take some time.

Using olive oil, coconut oil, lye, tallow, and water I made a basic soap recipe. Once that was dry, I hand-milled that into many different kinds of soap - peppermint, lavender, tea tree, sage, eucalyptus, and rosemary. It has been a fun experience!
My friend that helped me make my first batch of soap, is going to be making soap for us to have available for you at our Farmer's Market. I would like to make it myself, but time will not allow. :) She is going to make goat milk soap (with our goat milk and sheep tallow, of course) , shampoo bars, and probably many others. I am excited to be able to add another healthy product to our market!

Hope to see you Friday! :)

No comments: