Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Farmwife's Journal - October 18th

Yesterday afternoon I was able to spend some time in my herb garden.  There were still a few herbs that I had wanted to get harvested before winter sets in.  I cut more parsley to keep in the refrigerator, for us and the animals.  Parsley is good in anything and super good for you!  My thyme was looking beautiful, so I cut some of that too.  I just put it in bowls (3 large ones) and let it air dry like that.  Then I'll crush it and bag it up to use over the winter.  Collecting mullein leaves is something I do every fall.  Mullein is great for any lung ailments.  I like to have it on hand, just in case.  I put those leaves and some comfrey leaves on screens in my garden shed to dry.  Comfrey is a wonderful skin herb.  Last year I used a ton of it when Jonny got his finger caught in the belt sander.  There was one other herb I harvested yesterday and that was sage.  It's the second time this year I have harvested a large quantity of  it.  I already have a bunch of it hanging in my kitchen.  When I make soup, I just clip a few leaves and crush them into my soup.  But this time I was harvesting it for the goats.  They love sage!  We are also getting ready to breed them and sage (along with raspberry leaf) will help the moms have healthy babies and easy deliveries.  Sage also increases their milk supply.
Other than picking more parsley (it will still be there even with snow on the ground), I probably won't do much more with my herb garden this year.  Not that there isn't more I could do, but I've had my fill for this year. :)

No comments: