Monday, December 1, 2014

Health Journal - Winter Prep

This time of year, I am often asked what I do to prepare my family for cold and flu season.  While there are some herbal treatments that I do stock up on (make), herbal treatments are not what you should be looking to for good health.  Yes, whole food herbal medicines will help you recover without the risk of harmful side effects, but you should give your body more than that.

While I would prefer herbal remedies over drugs any day, they are not the key to maintaining good health - and neither are vitamins!  You must start at the foundation - food!  Food is the daily medicine that will keep your body functioning well and your immune system strong.  Yes, your food is your medicine!!  Without a good diet, you will not be able to avoid illness.  It will haunt you all winter long, week after week. 

Really you have two options.  You can spend time getting sick, running to doctors, and trying to get well or you can spend time preparing healthy food for your family.  Either way you will spend time!  You just need to decide which you prefer. :) 

I try to keep my meals healthy but simple.  I spend enough time growing, harvesting and preserving my food, I am not going spend time preparing gourmet meals too - although somehow my family thinks I feed them gourmet meals. :)  I am not into recipe hunting. I just keep it simple.

One very simple thing you can do is start making breakfast for your family.  Feed them eggs. They are SO nutritious and simple to make.  You can get creative and make a different style of eggs every day if you want.  One day make egg sandwiches, the next scramble them and put cheese on top or try an egg bake.

Just start with breakfast!  Get off the cold cereal and give your body a nutritious, health building meal first thing in the morning!

More on winter prep to come...

1 comment:

Theresa said...

We've been doing great starting with breakfasts! The boys are enjoying the hot and hearty start to their day. Thanks for all your help!