Sunday, August 1, 2010

Offering Another Cooking Class

Our cooking with herbs class was really fun. Unfortunately the weather prevented us from talking about all the herbs we were planning to talk about in the herb garden, but we did get a few in before it started to rain hard. Our AC unit struggled to keep up with the twenty-one bodies (plus my husband, the camera guy, my sister, Em, and myself) and my hot oven, but we managed. The weather was very sketchy outside, with tornado watches/warnings in the area, but we were happily cooking away without a thought about the storms. :) We did have one person who cancelled, leaving a message on my phone saying they were in their basement seeking cover and would not be attending the class. :)
When we started planning our class, we decided we would put a second date on the calendar for the class just in case we had more people that wanted to sign up than we had room for in my kitchen. Well, that has been the case! So we are now planning to offer the class again.
This class in scheduled for Tuesday, August 17th from 6:30-9pm. As of today, I have six people signed up. I only have room for about twenty, so if you really want to come don't wait to sign up.
I don't think we will offer this class again this year because we are planning to do a class on "Preparing Herbal Remedies for the Cold and Flu Season" this fall. Although if there is still lots of interest we may try to squeeze one in.
As I mentioned, we did video tape the class and will make that available at our Farmer's Market and through mail order. I am skeptical though, as to how the video will turn out. It's hard to make a video when you are teaching a class. It would have been better to do the video alone because there were lots of side conversations during the class, but we may be able to edit it enough to make it somewhat professional....we'll see!
We have been thinking about offering other classes too. Mike and I had talked (last winter) about offering a class on making maple syrup, but we were not prepared enough, so we may offer the class next spring. But if there are other classes that would be helpful to you please let us know and we will see what we can do. It is our goal and passion to teach others how to better take care of themselves and how to become more self-sufficient. ;)

No comments: