Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cats and Dogs

Here is a picture of the newest member of the farm.  He has actually been here for a few months, but Emily hasn't had time to write about him...too busy with bunnies I guess.:)  His name is Gentleman, and he is a Ragdoll cat.  Isn't he beautiful?  Emily is hoping that he arrived in time to be the father of Lady's kittens.  She is getting big and will be having kittens soon.
 
Gentleman

He has the most beautiful eyes!
Our guard dog, Jackson

And I had to include a picture of our faithful guard dog, Jackson.  Now that we have puppies, Jackson looks old, but he is still a great guardian and a huge asset to the farm!
 
A week or so ago, Mike and I were in bed, almost asleep when all of a sudden I heard a scream that sounded like a woman wailing. With wide eyes I said, "What in the world was that!"  Then all the dogs started barking like crazy.  We both flew out of bed and went running to the back door.  Then we heard it...the howl of a coyote. We hear coyotes often, but this one was in the back very close to the house.  I wish I had thought to grab the camera and video the scene.  It was pretty exciting!  I stood at the back door listening while Mike went for the shot gun.  Then pretty soon Em was startled awake and showed up at the back door asking what was going on.  The puppies were penned up, so all they could do was bark, but Jackson was out in the slough keeping the coyotes at bay.  As Em and I listened, I said, "I love Pyrenees!"  I wish we had 50 of them...but that would be too much grooming! :)  Well, Mike scared them off, but didn't get a shot at them.

Until next time....just another exciting day on the farm! :)

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Oh my that would give me quite the fright, especially since Scott is gone so often.

We have all of our animals (cats and dogs) in at night time so other than the barn cats from across the road who come to visit there aren't any animals out. I suppose if we ever get around to chickens and such we shoudl consider an outside guard dog. Your dog is huge but very beautiful.

Blog Archive