Tuesday, July 20, 2010

More About the Herb Class

I thought I would share with you some of the goals I have in mind for the herb class. First of all I hope to help those who are stuck with salt and pepper, go out on a limb, and try something new. :) Also I want to show those who purchase seasonings a better way, one without chemical additives, like MSG. But herbs are far more than great seasonings! Herbs combine good nutrition, good health, and good flavor!
There are many health benefits to cooking with herbs. Did you know that just 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano has the same amount of antioxidants as a medium sized apple?! And parsley, with its lame reputation as a decorative garnish, is actually one of the world's seven most potent disease-fighting herbs, a super food, loaded with high levels of many vitamins and has almost every nutrient known to man in it! WOW!! What an under-appreciated herb!!
So....I ask myself, how is it that such awesome foods have gone by the wayside in America? Is it because we have simply lost some of the culinary traditions of our ancestors through generations of apathy? Yes, I believe that is part of it, but I also think we have become lazy with our health. We want someone else to take care of us while we eat whatever tastes good, and is fast, whether it is a health risk or not. And we have also been brainwashed by drug companies, who profit from our dependence on the medical field.
This class in not just about making food taste good, it is far more than that! I hope to help the beginner feel more confidant using herbs, but also I want to encourage people to become more self-sufficient, to know about the healing plants that grow in their own yards, to learn about the medicinal plants that they can grow in their own gardens, to break the bond of dependence on expensive, and many times risky, drugs and medical treatments.
We actually hope to do many more classes on the subject. I do not know what the future holds for this country, but I do know that I don't want me or my family to be dependant on our health care system. I have a burden to learn and share what I learn, so that others can know the joys and the freedoms that come with self-sufficiency!

No comments: