Thursday, August 18, 2011

Farmwife's Journal - August 18th

The phone rang this morning at about 6:50am.  When that happens I am usually saying, "Who is the world....?"  Then I remember...the post office! :)  Yes, we had 300 baby chicks arrive this morning!  Come out tomorrow and you'll get to see them. :)

This morning we picked wild grapes.  I don't know what it is about picking wild grapes, but it's an activity we all love to do!  There are usually several places on our property that we find grapes.  We picked from two different spots today.  Emily was busy baking for the market tomorrow, so she wasn't with us, but we will go hunting for more in a couple days.




Joshua and Caleb...I mean Ben and Jonny ;)

extending the ladder as far as it will go...exciting boy stuff! ;)


After we were done picking, Mike got out the cider press and the boys helped him pressed the grapes.  Voila!  Grape juice! :)  I put the juice into 2-cup containers and froze it.  When we mix up a batch of juice, we just add sugar syrup and sometimes club soda.  It sooo yummy...and healthy! :)

putting the grapes through the press

 
containers of grape juice concentrate :)

P.S.  Does anyone have any ideas for what we should do with all our grape seeds?  I hate to compost them because I know they are so good for you, but I don't know how to make use of them.

No comments:

Blog Archive