Thursday, November 29, 2012

Farmwife's Journal - November 29th


Now that the election is over, Mike is getting ready for his new position as commissioner.  He has been meeting with the heads of different departments to get to know them and what they do.  He is going to be a great commissioner! :)  We are looking forward to the swearing in ceremony, and the kids and me plan to attend as many of his meetings as we can.  I want my kids to learn the ins and outs of county government...for better or worse. :)
 
Last night Jonny helped me make some Gingerbread cookies.  These are my favorite Christmas cookies.  Tomorrow I am having a tea party for some friends, so I have been making treats the last few days.  The recipe is below. 
Gingerbread cookies
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. baking powder
2 tsp.  ground ginger
1 tsp.  ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves

1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup maple syrup
Dried fruit for decorating.  We use raisins, cranberries, and apples.

Stir dry ingredients together.  Then mix the wet ingredient together and add to the dry. Mix well.  You can refrigerate the dough for an hour, or just start rolling it out, like I do. :)  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  So yummy!


Today's snack - raspberry, cinnamon, oat straw, and peppermint tea with undecorated Gingerbread cookies. :)


Enjoying our snack while reviewing states and capitals
Today I got my pumpkin butter canned while the kids were off at music lessons.  Below is the step by step process.  We enjoy pumpkin butter on our waffles, toast, and pumpkin or banana bread.


Here I am adding my chunks of cooked pumpkin to my blender.

20 cups of pureed pumpkin.  This was from two medium sized pumpkins.


To my 20 cups of pumpkin puree, I add 6 cups of sugar, 2 cups of apple cider, 4 tsp. of cinnamon, 2 tsp. cloves, 2 tsp. allspice, 2 tsp. nutmeg.  Then I mix it and heat it.

Once the pumpkin butter is good and hot, I start canning it.


Here I am adding my jars to my steam caner.


Process pint jars for 10 minutes.
 That's it!  It's really easy.  Canned pumpkin butter also makes a great Christmas gift. :)

 
This evening we played our first hockey game of the season on our pond.  Along with a couple friends, we enjoyed some good exercise and fresh, night air.  Family hockey is one of the things our family loves most about winter. :)

No comments: